Dave’s 20th Anniversary Celebration!
In August of 1996 Dave & Kristen Nesburg moved to Onekama, Michigan with their three young kids. Taking a leave from his teaching career in Minnesota, Dave accepted the call to come serve as camp director at Portage Lake Covenant Bible Camp. Twenty years later, all their kids have graduated college, they have two grandsons and they’ve seen God transform Portage Lake from a summer camp to a year round camp and retreat facility serving thousands of people every year.
Last Sunday, following our morning worship service, we took a few moments to thank and celebrate the Nesburg family for all they have done for Portage Lake and its ministry. During the Pig Roast lunch that followed, 20 friends, former staffers, board members, and campers took the stage to read off one of 20 “Life Rules” that Dave so often teaches us. Some are silly, some are serious, and all of them are classic Dave!
Here’s the thing about… 20 Rules for 20 Years
- Keep nuts out of pie and fruit out of cake
- There’s always time to trim your toenails.
- If you have to ask, “Do I have to go to the bathroom?” Go!
- No socks and sandals
- Deli meat – Can’t slice it too thin
- 70s music will never let you down.
- It’s better to be overdressed than underdressed. You don’t want to be the guy in a golf shirt if everyone else has a tie on. But it’s ok to be the guy in a tie with everyone else in a golf shirt.
- If someone offers you a mint or gum, always take it. They may be trying to tell you something.
- When you’re buying clothes, spend most of your money on shoes. If your feet are happy, you are happy.
- You can never go wrong with a red fruit. Strawberries? Good. Raspberries? Good. Apples? Good!
- When flying, always pack your toiletries and an extra pair of underwear in your carry on.
- If you’re looking good, you’re feeling good!
- When you’re at a restaurant, ask the server what they recommend. Order what they say, unless they hesitate. If they hesitate, just get a burger.
- When you swim, always get your head wet
- You’ll never look back and say, “We were too safe.”
- Find the “golden nugget” in everyone.
- It’s never too late to turn around.
- If you’re having a bad day, go out and make someone else’s day.
- Don’t get caught up trying to find your passion, bring your passion to whatever you’re doing.
- No one is impressed when you point out the things that aren’t going well. The world is aching for positive people.
For those who came or those who sent their love, thank you for celebrating the work and service of the Nesburg family! Because of them, year after year Portage Lake has been taking it “Over the top!”